Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Consider Your Ways: Stories on Rain and Flood

Do you still remember that song when we were still kids: "kung ang ulan ay puro tsukolate...o kay sarap ng ulan" (if the rain is all chocolate...Oh, the rain taste delicious)? I bet you'd dreamed about it. I thought about it a lot of times when I was a kid. I even thought that I should bring buckets to catch the chocolate rain. It was a nice childhood fantasy. Impossible and senseless even but nice and unadulterated.

Now that I am an adult, I never fantasized of chocolate rain but I am dreaming of being blessed incessantly, pouring like rain until I have no room to catch. Nice, right? Then, I wish I could be flooded, overflowing with all those blessings so I can share it to everyone. However, blessings, especially financial or material blessings do not pour like that. Often, you really have to work for it--work really hard. That's the cause-and-effect or the reap-what-you-sow principle. The same principle applies to the heavy rain that flooded Metro Manila and some areas of Luzon.

I've been reading messages asking people to pray so the rain would stop and spare us from more damages.  What came to my mind is the phrase: "Consider your ways..."

The rain that floods

Rain is a blessing from heaven to water our vegetation and to cool the dry earth. Habagat (southwest monsoon) season in the Philippines is a natural occurring phenomenon that happens around May to September. Who would have thought that this is going to devastate homes and caused the death of many people? It's not even a typhoon!.The non-stop monsoon rain the past few weeks has caused knee to neck-high flood in some parts of NCR and provincial Luzon areas.

Reuters - Cheryl Ravelo

Reuters - Erik De Castro
Reuters - Erik De Castro

Cause and effect

No need for a nose-bleeding scientific explanation. The intense heat during summer and the excessive and heavy rain during the rainy season is the results of climate change. Climate change is nothing new to many of us. It's been taught in school. What we do to our environment always comes back. And often, it comes back twice or thrices that it can take away our homes, properties, and even lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis